Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 22, 2018 3:43 PM HKT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Mall Emo?

Okay. So before you start reading this thread, I'm going to leave a disclaimer first.

These are all out of my knowledge about Emo. If you have further questions, you can send me a message and I will get back to you with clarification in regards to certain things you might have in mind.

Emo is such a lovely subgenre of hardcore and I think giving it justice is appropriate. Credits to Rites of Spring, Embrace and other Revolution Summer bands that paved the way.

The words I used in this thread are out of my years of researching and understanding about the music of Emo. 

In no way I am trying to shame anyone with their current beliefs. But I do hope you'll be able to absorb the bits of knowledge I shared in this thread.

I encourage everyone to educate yourselves. I am not saying I know everything but I want to share the little things I know about Emo and some of its Subs.

xx

We are all aware about that cringe-worthy term "Emo".

Whenever we hear the word "Emo" we often think of one sided hair, eyeliners, cuts in the wrist and all those stuff that we thought was "essential" for being "emo".

Well, those stereotypes about what emo is isn't real. Those stuff could fall in the "Mall Emo" category.

some of you might ask me "Marckus, what is Mall Emo"?

Let's ask Urban Dictionary.

Most of you might toast me for this, but proper education and identification of which is which could really help out in knowing what's right and what's not.

Mall Emo is a form of insult used upon kids who thinks they are listening to Emo bands presented to them by the media. In fact, the mid-2000s "Emo" wave was such a huge "marketing" success that up to this day, tons of kids are misled.

Examples of Mall Emo bands are My Chemical Romance, Paramore, Fall Out Boy, Panic! At the Disco, Black Veil Brides and tons more Pop Punk bands tagged as Emo by the mainstream.

Q's:

• So, what's Emo? what are the bands I should listen to if I want to know what Emo really is? Who started Emo? What are the album/songs I should listen to that are Emo?

-You can go here to learn more about Emo.

• So every band I listened to when back then are not Emo?

- Well, that depends. Silverstein is considere Emo by the Emo council but Blessthefall is not. What I'll tell you is to do your reseach so you could discover it on your own.

• This is stupid. Sobrang purist naman

- I was once as misled as you. I also wore tight pants, tight shirts and my hair was also one-sided. May kulay pa nga noon yung bangs ko. I am not being a purist/elitist. I respect the beliefs of others. It's just that when I discovered what Emo really is, para akong na-bigyan ng bagong buhay.              That's why I would like to share it with everyone here. Plus, mas heartfelt yung songs ng Seatia compared sa songs ng Alesana and if you dig Alesana, I bet you'll dig Saetia and other similar sounding bands as well.

• Mali ka naman eh, what do you know about Skramz?

- I'm still learning. Like what I said above, I only have a few things I can share but those stuff are the result of my personal research. I can provide sources and references if you want.

• Bakit sabi sa Wikipedia Emo and My Chemical Romance at The Used?

- 

- Wikipedia is not accurate. It can be edited by anyone. Let's use accurate sources from people who are knowledgeable about a certain topic. The Internet could also mislead us in times.

xx

With those being said, I am welcoming everyone in this thread. Feel free to ask questions and discuss things here. :) Walang away-away ha?

P.S.

If you are confused in bands that you think are emo, you can check out the website of Is this band Emo.

Here's a list c/o youdontknowemo that has a numer of bands which falls under the category of Mall Emo. Click here to view the webpage.

This post was edited by Marcus Aurelius at January 24, 2018 2:37 PM HKT

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel